“How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.”
This Valentine’s Day, we asked our professional team in our 4 departments—the Child Development Centre, the Employment & Learning Centre, Fitness on 25th, and the Crisis Shelter and Residence—what they love most about their jobs.
Here are their top 28 reasons they love the work they do.
(Honestly, we were a little surprised not to hear a single word about all of the staff potlucks, homemade baking and holiday decorating!)
28. The people that I work with are my family, and I spend more time with them than with my own family.
27. My co-workers are awesome and attract awesome people.
26. I love to hear our clients say, ‘I wish I would have known this in my last job, I would have saved so much time!’
25. Going around town and running into people in jobs that we have helped in the Computer Lab is heartwarming.
24. My opinion matters, and I am allowed to speak my mind without fear.
23. Every day is a new adventure. Children are full of excitement when experiencing new things. Seeing that excitement is a wonderful thing to me.
22. It’s a joy to see someone grow in confidence from the beginning of the computer class until its conclusion.
21. I enjoy being a part of a great organization that makes a difference in our communities.
20. I enjoy the diversity of our programs and all of the clients we serve. Every day I get to meet people from different ethnic and educational backgrounds.
19. I am always learning. My job challenges me every day to do better.
18. I love the family friendly philosophy of the YWCA.
17. I wouldn’t still be here if it wasn’t for my coworkers and management and the support I get from both.
16. I love helping women and families who stay in our shelter.
15. I love interacting and getting to know the fitness members.
14. I love the friendly, fun atmosphere at work.
13. I love working at the YWCA because it is a cheerful place where children are growing and developing, and I am honoured to play a role in assisting this development. Besides, not many jobs have additional perks of hugs, high fives and crayon artwork along with pretend food and play dough!
12. Every morning I look forward to offer my expertise and to know that I can make a difference in our clients’ lives.
11. My co-workers and the leadership team are knowledgeable and caring.
10. I have the best team from which I can seek advice, share ideas and learn new things.
9. I am allowed to grow and show my potential. I am able to use my skills, knowledge and experience as well as push myself in areas in which I am uncertain or unfamiliar.
8. I love my job as an employment counselor especially when a job seeker is able to use the information and guidance to expand their confidence and capability to go after the job they want. When they get that new job, the excitement for what the future will hold is beyond measure.
7. I love my job and being a part of the YWCA community.
6. The thing I love about my job is our clients.
5. I enjoy working for the YWCA because I believe in what we do. I like my coworkers. And appreciate all they do and learn from them as well. But mostly I enjoy the children. They brighten my day and their enthusiasm and curiosity delight and engage me.
4. Children love you unconditionally. They make you forget your worries when they hug you.
3. I love my job because of the difference we make in our community.
2. I enjoy being able to connect with the women and children who come through our doors.
1. I love that we treat everyone as individuals and we always give people fresh starts.
Watch for the “LOVE My Job” series of staff stories running this February on YWCA Saskatoon’s website blog and social media channels. We love what we do, and it shows!
Photo: Amanda Andre Photography