Nutrition Monday: Chicken Taco Rice Bowl
By: Kaylie Pederson, Personal Trainer
The recipe I have for you today has a couple parts to it but it is worth it! Below is a recipe for my delicious Taco Chicken Rice bowl with a homemade cilantro cream sauce. It’s a nice filling version of a taco salad and is perfect for lunch or supper. The Cilantro Cream Sauce is made with low fat Greek yogurt, so you can’t feel guilty about how much you use! The brown rice in this dish helps to fill your stomach and like all carbs, gives you fuel for your day.
Cilantro Cream Sauce makes 1 1/4 cups
- 1 cup tightly packed fresh cilantro
- 1 cup low fat plain Greek yogurt*
- 1 jalapeno seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (1/2 lime)
- 1/2 teaspoon mild green chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Store this sauce in the fridge, it can last you up to two weeks! I put my cream sauce in a squeeze bottle to use on several dishes!
Taco Chicken marinade:
- 2 Chicken breast, chopped up
- 2 Tablespoons El Del Paso Taco seasoning(reduced sodium)
- 1-2 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar(honey can also be used)
- 1 teaspoon spicy red chili flakes(optional)
Combine all marinaded ingredients in a bowl and then add in cut up chicken pieces. Mix together and let sit in the fridge for 1-6 hours. To cook the chicken I use a frying pan, on medium to medium high heat. Chop the chicken up even smaller once it is cooked.